The Road to Awareness associate fundraising campaign has been making a positive difference to children in the communities Starwood operates in since 2008.
Every year, employees throughout Europe, Africa and the Middle East organise fundraising events to help raise funds for UNICEF’s vital work for children.
The campaign began when several senior associates at Starwood decided to take on a cycling challenge in the French Alps in aid of UNICEF. In the six years since, associates have raised over $5 million, and the bike ride has continued to be a highlight of the campaign every year.
Impact for children
Thanks to the enthusiasm and motivation of Starwood employees, the campaign has helped UNICEF reach thousands of children around the world.
- 2008 - over 1,000 children used radio programmes to spread HIV prevention messages in Mozambique
- 2009 - 2,000 street children in Cairo received psychosocial support
- 2010 - 3,400 vulnerable children in South Africa gained access to education
- 2011 -150 schools in Romania and flood hit areas of Pakistan were refurbished and supported with learning materials
- 2012 - 50,000 children are being supported with pre-primary education in Ethiopia
- 2013 - over 8,000 excluded children in Cameroon and Nigeria are being enrolled in school
- 2014 – last year’s campaign aims to help 21,000 people, including 3,500 school children, gain access to clean water in Somalia
- 2015 - $1 million is enough to provide 2,700 water pumps. One pump can provide clean water for a whole community & help prevent children catching water-borne diseases.